3/28/15

Recent Artworks : Digital vs Traditional design

Greetings Friends, I'm alive.  
I've began to reconnect with traditional drawing again - and it feels so good. I've realised working on a computer for the entirety of an artwork, cuts out something really organic during the creating process. It's almost like something blocks me from fully achieving satisfaction in a design. 
Most of my work is created in Adobe Photoshop with a Large Wacom Intuos pro. I became so used to being able to click + undo mistakes or colour filling till I found the right shade, that I found myself actually frightened and filled with self doubt when it came to putting pen to paper. 

I remember even being out at a cafe with another artist friend, who wanted to draw in our sketchbooks and the whole ordeal made me so nervous, I put it off. 

After wrapping up a 6 week long mural for Black Milk Clothing, I settled down and decided this would the the ideal time to re-discover what I like to draw, for me, and only me. 

The whole notion of having each day to spend creating for myself was overwhelming. Everything I usually draw is for a market or a client. I almost felt lost, and unable to relax, because I felt guilty about 'not working'. I've always said 'draw because you like the process, don't focus the end product being polished or you'll throw yourself off'. So each day would be a struggle to just clear my mind and enjoy playing with paints instead of 'finishing linework by noon, colouring by 2, starting a new draft by 3'.  

I think I'm finding the right balance of 50-50 traditional vs digital illustrating. I've had to set up my regime so I'm not sitting at my computer for longer then 2 hours a day. So if I have a digital design on the hop (like the foxes image below) I won't spend all day working on her, but stretch it out over a week. I start to get angry if I'm stuck in the one spot for too long otherwise hah. 

Anyways, here are some of the recent illustrations. A collection will be launched soon along with prints! Stay tuned. x  



'The Archer' 
Watercolour & Ink on Recycled Paper
210mm x 280mm  


"The Forest won't let me leave with you"
Watercolour & Ink on 600gsm watercolour cardstock 
210mm x 297mm 


"Honey Bunny"
Watercolour & Ink on Recycled Paper
210mm x 280mm 


"Learn to love Sleeplessness"
Digital Print - Ink on 200gsm matte cardstock 
210mm x 297mm 


"The White Witch"
Watercolour & Ink on 600gsm watercolour cardstock 
210mm x 297mm 


"Bathing in Rainbows"
Watercolour & Ink on 600gsm watercolour cardstock 
210mm x 297mm 


"The Premonition"
Digital Print - Ink on 200gsm Cardstock
210mm x 297mm (A4)
297mm x 420mm (A3)


"The Hunter"
Watercolour & Ink on Recycled Paper 
148mm x 210mm 


"Arrows for my Enemies"
Watercolour & Ink on Recycled Paper 
148mm x 210mm 


"Human Existance"
Digital Print - Ink on 200gsm Cardstock
210mm x 297mm (A4)

2 comments:

  1. These are SO SO SO amazing Lauren! It's great to see you take some time for yourself, and these really do feel like a lot of your older work. I think honey bunny is my fave! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much beautiful girl. I guess I just got a bit lost on my journey, but am getting on the right track you know? Hehe, Honey Bunny was a bit cute to draw ! Hope you are having a fabulous start to the weekend x

      Delete